A woman who had a week-long migraine was ‘fobbed off’ by doctors as having a hangover – it was a stroke that ‘stole’ her 20s.
Nia Tyler had been like any other university student.
She enjoyed socialising, going on nights out and having a few drinks.
READ MORE: ‘I’m allergic to WATER – my own tears leave me in agony and I only wash my face once a MONTH’
But one morning, despite not drinking the night before, she woke up with an ‘agonising’ migraine that wouldn’t shift.
The singer then began vomiting, had blurred vision and balance issues.
She rushed to her nearest doctors surgery; but was “fobbed off” as being hungover.
Nia, who knew something much worse was at play, was actually suffering a stroke.
“I was in so much pain – it was as if my body was shutting down,” the 27-year-old, from Cardiff, told Need To Know.

“I had to take the doctors’ word for it and accept the painkillers they prescribed.
“I felt like I had been dismissed; but what else was I meant to do?
“When they told me it was a stroke, I was completely shocked.”
Nia, who says she had no health issues prior, claims to have had an evening watching television with her housemates the night before in September 2019.
She initially thought it could be the flu and so stayed in her room to sleep it off.
But after it carried on for over 24 hours, with no let up, Nia decided to phone 111.

She said: “I wasn’t able to eat, had no appetite and had vomited the toast I tried.
“I was only leaving bed to use the toilet when I was desperate.
“But I could barely lift my head from the pillow otherwise.
“I knew I wasn’t hungover, as I hadn’t had alcohol since Wednesday – and this was Sunday.
“My friends just thought I was really unwell.
“Even when the pain subsided, it was only slight.”
A week after symptoms started, Nia was diagnosed with an ear infection and then referred for a brain scan after an optician’s visit found swelling on her optic nerve.

A blood clot was discovered, which indicated a stroke.
She believes her symptoms were ‘dismissed’ due to her age.
She said: “Because I’m a young woman, we’re not given enough credit for knowing our own bodies.
“It’s also the assumption that young people have less health issues, so it couldn’t be anything serious.
“I also didn’t present with the ‘classic’ stroke symptoms, so that didn’t help.
“More absolutely needs to be done to prevent this from happening again, though.

“There should be a wider spread of understanding that strokes can happen to anyone, at any time, and more respect to young people should be given.”
Nia was hospitalised for two weeks and given blood thinners to reduce the clot.
Sadly, the ordeal – and subsequent recovery – meant she had to drop out of university at the start of her final year of studies.
In 2020, she returned and completed her degree.
Recovery “stole” her 20s, as she was unable to see her friends as much and also struggled to do everyday tasks, such as make a cup of tea.
It made her feel “left behind”.
Today, however, she’s a professional singer and got to the semi-final of The Voice Wales.
While she does still suffer some symptoms, it’s only minor compared to the initial – and she’s looking forward to getting her old life back.
She added: “Being self-employed has really helped, as I can work my schedule around how I feel day-to-day.
“It’s a lot of planning, though.
“When I got my first full-time job, I was like a zombie.
“I also still suffer from migraines, brain fog, and balance issues.
“I do think about it happening again, but not often.

“I’m trying to keep myself as healthy as I can but reading up on de-stressing methods and eating a better diet.
“If you think you’re unwell, go see a medical professional.
“Advocate for yourself and take someone with you who can help do that, too.
“If you’re recovering right now and feel like you’re in the trenches: it does get better.
“Life probably won’t look like it used to, but you can definitely live a new level of normal.”
READ MORE: ‘I saw my baby lying dead in her cot and heard voices telling me to hurt myself to keep her safe’