By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept

Need To Know

News, culture and entertainment you need to know

Font ResizerAa
  • U.K News
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Travel
  • Fitness and health
  • Tech
  • Motors
  • Sports
  • More
Reading: Mother and son killed after lorry crashes into footbridge, crushing their car
Share
Font ResizerAa

Need To Know

News, culture and entertainment you need to know

  • U.K News
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Travel
  • Fitness and health
  • Tech
  • Motors
  • Sports
  • More
Search
  • U.K News
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Travel
  • Fitness and health
  • Tech
  • Motors
  • Sports
  • More
Follow US
Need To Know > World > Mother and son killed after lorry crashes into footbridge, crushing their car
A mother and her son were killed when a lorry struck a motorway footbridge on a Brazilian highway - sending the structure crashing down and crushing their car beneath it.
World

Mother and son killed after lorry crashes into footbridge, crushing their car

NTK Journalist
Last updated: August 20, 2026 4:17 pm
NTK Journalist Published August 20, 2026
Share
WARNING, DISTRESSING CONTENT The moment the lorry crashes into a footbridge, causing it to collapse onto a passing car. (Picture: Jam Press)
SHARE

A mother and her son have been killed after a lorry crashed into a motorway footbridge, sending the structure crashing down on top of their car.

Rosangela Carlos Soares Chaves and Douglas Soares Quaresma were driving beneath the footbridge when a lorry travelling in the opposite direction struck the structure, causing it to collapse onto the carriageway.

The car carrying Rosangela, 63, and Douglas, 40, was crushed beneath the falling structure.

READ MORE: Missing teen hiker, 18, found dead after parents wrongly told she was alive

Both died at the scene, while a third person was injured and taken to hospital.

The pair were travelling from Belo Horizonte to São Paulo, Brazil, when the tragedy happened on the Fernão Dias motorway in Vargem on Tuesday morning (18 August).

Rosangela was a hairdresser and mother of three who was described by her brother as “a very nice woman”.

Douglas, who was married and had a six-year-old son, worked as a commercial representative in the optical sector.

He had been travelling to São Paulo for a work-related trade fair and had stopped at his mother’s home in Belo Horizonte before setting off.

(Picture: Jam Press)

He then invited her to come along, telling her: “Come for a trip, come with me to the fair.”

His uncle Renato Carlos said the mother and son were very close.

The family had not expected Rosangela to make the journey, with Renato saying: “I didn’t even know she was coming here to São Paulo. It was a surprise. It was a shock to me.”

Their bodies were taken to the Institute of Forensic Medicine in Bragança Paulista before being transported back to Belo Horizonte.

The driver of the lorry that struck the footbridge was identified as Deyvidson Temudo De Oliveira and arrested at the scene.

The 42-year-old underwent a breathalyser test, which came back negative, as reported by Need To Know.

Police are investigating the circumstances of the crash, which was registered as manslaughter by negligent driving and negligent bodily injury caused by driving a motor vehicle.

According to reports citing the police investigation, the lorry struck a central support column of the footbridge while carrying out an overtaking manoeuvre.

The vehicle was reportedly transporting another large lorry on a trailer and was allegedly above the permitted height and width limits.

The driver was not believed to have been speeding, according to investigators.

XCMG BRASIL, which owns the equipment being transported, said it was not responsible for the haulage operation, which was carried out by a specialist contractor.

The collapse caused major disruption on the Fernão Dias, with both directions closed as crews worked to remove the wreckage.

Five cranes and two recovery vehicles were used in the complex operation, which required the area to be secured and the remaining structure assessed before the beams could be removed.

The São Paulo-bound carriageway reopened at 7.54pm, with 12km (7 miles) of congestion remaining, while the Belo Horizonte-bound side reopened at 10.34pm, with 23km (14 miles) of queues.

At one point, tailbacks exceeded 30km (19 miles) in both directions.

Rosangela’s niece Renata Marcial called for those responsible to be held accountable, writing on social media: “It wasn’t an accident. It was other people’s irresponsibility, and those responsible must pay.”

READ MORE: Fitness coach mysteriously dies after collapsing during competition

You Might Also Like

Missing teen hiker, 18, found dead after parents wrongly told she was alive

Fitness coach mysteriously dies after collapsing during competition

Fishermen found alive inside cool box after five days lost at sea

Ancient Anglo-Saxon bones found by couple under PATIO are laid to rest

Hero’s £25,000 digger destroyed during wildfire battle to save UK’s ‘Hollywood-on-Sea’ village

TAGGED:accidentBrazilCCTVcrashHorrorshockingtragicVideoworld news
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
InstagramFollow
TiktokFollow
Most read
A fashion boss branded an inappropriate granny for refusing to cover up has welcomed her first grandchild - but says she won't be swapping corsets for cardigans.
Lifestyle

Fashion icon, 63, welcomes first grandchild – and tells cover up critics her style isn’t changing

Will Millar Will Millar August 20, 2026
Influencer arrested in connection with £20m cocaine haul heading to UK
Relief as champion boxer returns to Britain after suffering horror brain bleed in sparring
Woman arrested after ‘moving’ pillowcases found stuffed with 69 exotic reptiles
I’ve been Marge Simpson, Lois Griffin and Mrs Incredible – men go WILD for cartoon mums’

Categories

  • Lifestyle
  • U.K News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Business
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Write for us
  • Authors
  • Contact
Top Categories
  • Business
  • Environment
  • Lifestyle
  • Technology
  • Fitness and health
  • Property
  • Entertainment

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Read Next

Woman who secretly took Mounjaro - even hiding the jabs in her fridge veg tray - has come clean after shedding eight stone and reversing her pre-diabetes diagnosis before turning 60.
Fitness and health

‘I’m a secret jabber – only my hubby knew about my Mounjaro use but I’m ready to come clean’

August 20, 2026
Man became paralysed from the chest down within minutes of his legs tingling due to a rare spinal bleed - then found out a week later he was going to be a dad to a rainbow baby.
Fitness and health

‘My legs tingled – minutes later I was paralysed, a week on, I found out I’d be a dad’

August 20, 2026
Recovering alcoholic who drank up to nine litres of cider a day was diagnosed with liver disease at 25 after spotting the whites of his eyes had turned a murky yellow in the mirror.
Fitness and health

‘I drank 9 liters of cider a day – my eyes turned YELLOW and my liver failed at 25’

August 20, 2026
A huge crocodile has been caught prowling inside a family home in Goa, India, sending dogs into a barking frenzy - and forcing one calm man to leap from his chair when it lunged.
World

Huge crocodile breaks into family home as DOGS take on beast

August 19, 2026
Love Island star Helena Ford has revealed contestants are banned from masturbating in the villa - lifting the lid on the X-rated code of conduct rule tucked away in their contracts.
Celebrities

Helena Ford reveals Love Islanders were BANNED from masturbating in villa

August 19, 2026
World

Fireball erupts at family hotpot as gas cylinder explodes – three injured

August 19, 2026
This is the shocking moment a motorcyclist flips head-first over a £40,000 car in a head-on smash - before jumping up and sprinting off, leaving a shoe behind.
U.K News

Motorcyclist smashes into £40,000 car before FLIPPING over bonnet and fleeing scene

August 19, 2026
A mum-of-three influencer has died aged 33 after developing complications following plastic surgery - leaving her husband to raise their three young boys alone.
World

Mum-of-three influencer dies aged 33 after complications from ‘three-in-one’ plastic surgery

August 19, 2026

Categories

  • Lifestyle
  • U.K News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Business
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Write for us
  • Authors
  • Contact
Top Categories
  • Business
  • Environment
  • Lifestyle
  • Technology
  • Fitness and health
  • Property
  • Entertainment

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

2024 © Need To Know. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?