The parents of a teenage hiker found dead after an eight-day search were wrongly told she was alive for up to 10 minutes following a devastating communications blunder.
Lily Hooper, 18, disappeared after setting out alone for a walk on Wednesday, 12 August.
A body believed to be the missing teenager was discovered in thick bushland on Thursday morning.
READ MORE: Hiker missing for FOUR months found dead by search dog
But an initial report from the search area incorrectly said Lily had been found alive, as reported by Need To Know.
The teen went missing in Nattai National Park, New South Wales, Australia.
The false update was relayed to her family and reached New South Wales Premier Chris Minns, who announced the apparent good news during a televised parliamentary hearing.
He told the hearing: “Lily Hooper has been found alive.
“Found in the bush with half a bottle of water with her.”
Minutes later, Mr Minns was forced to correct the announcement.

He said: “I’ve got some terrible news.
“I apologise to the committee, but it seems as if the early advice was wrong.
“Lily’s body’s been found, and she’s been found deceased.”
The premier added that he was “profoundly sad” for Lily’s family and apologised for the error.
He later issued a statement saying he genuinely believed he had been sharing good news.
Mr Minns said: “My deepest condolences are with Lily’s family.
“I am profoundly sorry to think that anything I may have said may have added to their heartbreak at an already devastating time.”
NSW Police said a woman’s body was located in bushland at approximately 11.30am on Thursday, 20 August.

Formal identification had not yet taken place, but officers said the remains were believed to be those of Lily.
A report will now be prepared for the coroner.
Assistant Commissioner Joseph Cassar said a State Emergency Service searcher initially reported that Lily had been found alive in “thick and dense terrain”.
Mr Cassar confirmed Lily’s family believed she was alive for an “eight-to-10-minute” period.
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon apologised unreservedly for any additional trauma caused to Lily’s loved ones.
An internal investigation is expected to examine how the incorrect update passed between agencies and was treated as fact before Lily’s condition had been verified, news.com.au reports.

Mr Cassar rejected suggestions that officers had “jumped the gun”, pointing to the difficult terrain and hundreds of volunteers involved.
He said the circumstances surrounding the incorrect update would form part of the information supplied to the coroner.
Lily was last seen leaving a home on Burragorang Road in Oakdale at approximately 8am on 12 August.
She intended to hike in Nattai National Park but failed to return home and was reported missing at around 10pm.
Her car was found approximately an hour later on Wanganderry Road, close to the start of the Bonnum Pic Walking Trail.
Police described Lily as an experienced hiker but said it was unclear what clothing or supplies she had taken.
The week-long search involved police rescue teams, helicopters, dogs, mounted officers, trail bikes, firefighters, ambulance crews, national park staff, SES volunteers and the Australian Defence Force.
Police said just under 1,000 people contributed to the operation.
Mr Lanyon said the focus had been on finding Lily and returning her safely to her family.
He added: “Sadly, that has not been the case.”
READ MORE: Hiker, 73, found dead after disappearing in national park

