By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept

Need To Know

News, culture and entertainment you need to know

Font ResizerAa
  • U.K News
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Travel
  • Fitness and health
  • Tech
  • Motors
  • Sports
  • More
Reading: Couple caught in Rhodes wildfires forced to evacuate overnight in holiday horror
Share
Font ResizerAa

Need To Know

News, culture and entertainment you need to know

  • U.K News
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Travel
  • Fitness and health
  • Tech
  • Motors
  • Sports
  • More
Search
  • U.K News
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Travel
  • Fitness and health
  • Tech
  • Motors
  • Sports
  • More
Follow US
Need To Know > UK > Couple caught in Rhodes wildfires forced to evacuate overnight in holiday horror
An orange hue of flames can be seen in the background over the night sky, with trees in front.
UK

Couple caught in Rhodes wildfires forced to evacuate overnight in holiday horror

Amy Walters
Last updated: July 24, 2023 12:35 pm
Amy Walters Published July 24, 2023
Share
Mark and Donna had to spend the night in a primary school with hundreds of other tourists. (Picture: Jam Press)
SHARE

A couple have shared their holiday horror after being forced to evacuate from their hotel overnight due to blazing fires – and claim the travel company “laughed” at their misfortune with no “plan in place” to assist them.

Mark Ellis, 50, and his wife, Donna Ellis, 46, were shocked to find themselves caught in the devastating extreme weather situation in Rhodes, Greece.

According to reports, 19,000 people have been evacuated so far in the surrounding villages and hotels over the past five days.

A blue sky can be seen with a cloud of smoke taking over, with green trees in the bottom.
Mark and Donna noticed smoke encompassing the island in the early hours of Saturday morning (Picture: Jam Press)

The couple, from Devon, arrived on the island on 18 July 2023 and booked a package trip through Jet2, reportedly costing just under £2,000.

While they were aware of rising temperatures, they had no concerns – until the evening of 29 July, when they saw flames in the distance.

“We had just been out for a meal and a couple of drinks, before going back to the apartment to get some rest – and then we heard a loud alert on our phones,” the construction worker told NeedToKnow.co.uk.

“It was telling us to evacuate the resort and get to the main road in Pefkos, where a bus would pick us up.

“All of this was from the Greek Government and as we stepped outside, we saw the flames in the mountains.

“I wasn’t overly panicked and got to the reception to speak with the manager, who said there wasn’t anything to really worry about as it was so far away.

“But we made the decision to pack up our things and head to the main road and wait, where we joined hundreds and hundreds of other stranded tourists.”

Mark and Donna claim the alerts weren’t for the wildfire but more so for smoke inhalation, and in a bid to keep themselves safe, they boarded the bus.

However, they allege that tensions quickly started to rise as none of the tourism companies had reportedly been in contact with any of the displaced holidaymakers.

Mark and Donna smile with their arms round one another as the sunset is seen in the background.
Mark and Donna had hoped to spend his 50th birthday in the holiday destination (Picture: Jam Press)

He claims: “Lots of people were in disbelief and others were so angry against the tourism companies, as there were no reps to be seen.

“Everyone was sent to different locations, but we ended up in a local primary school, which was awful.

“However, locals in the area started coming in and they were fantastic.

“They offered bottles of water, sanitary products for women and made us meals – it was amazing.

“Still, nobody knew what was going on, whether they had to go to the airport or if they were going to be stuck there for days, it was absolutely crazy.”

Mark claims they received an alert the next morning stating that it was safe to return to the resort, which was confirmed by the hotel manager.

Since then, they’ve had a phone call from Jet2 on 23 July to check on their wellbeing, but the couple allege that the representative “laughed” at them and told them there was no “plan in place” due to the events being unprecedented.

Now, they’re making the most of their holiday, but say that ash and smoke can still be seen in the distance, as well as contained flames.

An orange hue of fire can be seen in the background over the night sky with trees in front
The flames started emerging very quickly and the pair were asked to evacuate. (Picture: Jam Press)

Mark added: “I was really looking forward to this trip, as it was for my birthday, but the treatment from the tourism companies has been shocking.

“A lot of people panicked and I heard around 45,000 people were left stranded at the airport waiting for a flight home.

“It’s very quiet out, as so many people have left and nobody else is being flown in, but we’re all safe.

“Everyone is checking in on each other, which is brilliant.

“I’m having to wipe ash off my clothes while we’re sitting on the beach, but I’m glad we’re finally able to enjoy our holiday.”

You Might Also Like

Mourners ‘spark two major forest fires’ with funeral fireworks

Performer erupts in flames as colleagues scramble to smother blaze

Wildfire sparked by ‘one spark from a tractor’ threatens golf club in celeb-favourite village

Stonehenge built by pub landlord and his mate destroyed in fire

Hundreds of thousands of honey bees burned alive in ‘DELIBERATE’ fire

TAGGED:fireGreece
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
InstagramFollow
TiktokFollow
Most read
Dad who wore size 6XL and hit 27st says he added an extra decade to his life after losing over 10 stone with a football-themed weight loss club - swapping takeaways for the pitch.
Fitness and health

Dad ‘adds DECADE to lifespan’ after dropping 10st with football-themed weight loss club

Hannah Phillips Hannah Phillips August 17, 2026
Bodybuilder’s simple cold triggered organ failure – now a rare disease is stealing his SIGHT
Woman with Britain’s ‘biggest lips’ injects her own filler at HOME – after just a six-week online course
Distracted cow struck by speeding train before standing up and walking away
Thrill seekers stranded in mid-air as ride suddenly ‘breaks down’

Categories

  • Lifestyle
  • U.K News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Business
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Write for us
  • Authors
  • Contact
Top Categories
  • Business
  • Environment
  • Lifestyle
  • Technology
  • Fitness and health
  • Property
  • Entertainment

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Read Next

American influencer with 472,000 Instagram fans claims she was 'glassed in the face' at a nightclub in Mykonos after rejecting a man's advances - and her face had to be glued.
World

US influencer ‘glassed in face’ in club while holidaying in tourist hotspot

July 30, 2026
A fire broke out beneath the Raptor roller coaster at Gardaland in Italy, engulfing a wooden watchtower in the Far West area - shaken visitors watched just metres away.
World

Fun-seekers left shaken after huge fire breaks out at packed theme park

July 29, 2026
Family of four killed on dream Greek holiday after their car hit a tanker lorry head-on - only their seven-year-old daughter survived and is now fighting for her life in hospital.
World

Mum, dad and daughter die in horror crash on dream holiday

July 20, 2026
Firefighters from five stations battled a raging inferno as 200 tons of wood erupted into flames near Taunton during Britain's scorching summer heatwave.
U.K News

Raging inferno as 200 TONNES of wood go up in flames amid Britain’s scorching summer

July 17, 2026
An arsonist accidentally set himself alight while hurling a firebomb at a Dutch cafe - and fled on foot with his clothes still burning.
World

Arsonist sets himself on FIRE in botched attempt to torch cafe

July 7, 2026
20-year-old Bradley Belhomme is on life support in Athens after a devastating quad bike crash on holiday, as his family race to raise £26,000 to bring him home.
U.K News

Brit man fighting for life after horror quad bike crash in Greece

July 7, 2026
Five people were killed and several injured when an LPG tanker exploded after crashing into a toll booth at speed in India - with the blaze visible from 2km away.
World

Five dead after petrol tanker crashes and explodes at toll booth

July 3, 2026
Experienced sailor Eleonora Guareschi, 52, died in her partner's arms after suffering a catastrophic head injury during a yacht trip near a Greek island.
World

Tourist dies in partner’s arms after falling on sailboat abroad

July 1, 2026

Categories

  • Lifestyle
  • U.K News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Business
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Write for us
  • Authors
  • Contact
Top Categories
  • Business
  • Environment
  • Lifestyle
  • Technology
  • Fitness and health
  • Property
  • Entertainment

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

2024 © Need To Know. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?