The world’s most poisonous plant – with a sting so strong it can kill – has arrived in the UK.
The Gympie-Gympie has tiny hair-like needles full of toxins and they can grow up to 10m tall.
But if they are touched, they leave sufferers feeling like they have been electrocuted and on fire at the same time.
In some cases, this can continue for weeks or even months and has led to patients committing suicide as they can’t cope with it.
The Gympie-Gympie – aka Dendrocnide moroides – is native to Australia.
But one has just gone on display at Alnwick Garden, Northumberland.
It is so dangerous it is kept in a glass cage and has its own keeper.
The gardens have over 100 toxic and narcotic plants on display.
The Gympie-Gympie will be displayed next to Cannabis and deadly Ricin plants.
John Knox, lead tour guide at the Poison Garden, said: “The plant usually flowers and produces its fruits when it is less than three metres tall, and it could reach up to 10m in height.
”The stem, branches, petioles, leaves, and fruits are all covered in the stinging hairs and not to be touched.”
He added: “The tiny brittle hairs, known as trichomes, are loaded with toxins over the entire plant and if touched, stay in the skin for up to a year.
“And release the toxin cocktail into the body during triggering events such as touching the affected area, contact with water, or temperature changes.”